Thursday 30 December 2021

Books Read 2021



From 1st January 2021 to yesterday morning  I have read 29 e-books, 46 audio books, and 56 actual physical volumes. That seems huge but it only works out at 2.5 a week,when theoretically I could consume double that. I am absolutely loving the chance to indulge my reading habit with the excuses of lockdown and other similar reasons for not going out. My stand-out reads are:

Hardbacks: “What Happened” by Hillary Clinton and “Apeirogon” by Colum McCann.

Paper backs – “American Dirt” by Jeanne Cummins and “Last Witnesses” by Svetlana Alexievich

e-books – “Rodham” by Curtis Sittenfeld and “Tom Stoppard” by Hermione Lee. Runner up “Miss Austen” by Gill Hornby

Audio books “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens and “The Silence of the Girls” by Pat Barker. Runner up “Dunstan” by Col Igguldon.

I received a Christmas card from an old friend dating back to 1972, when we met in the first term at University. This friend is now resident in France, and we last met in 2016.  She inscribed her card with "Thank God for books!"

I agree.



2 comments:

  1. Did you watch 'Impeachment: An American Crime Story' about Clinton/Lewinsky? It was very good. I'm going to order 'Rodham' from the library. I love Curtis Sittenfield's writing. She's an epic author/ess. I have 'American Dirt' in paperback but I couldn't bear to read past the first few pages. I just know how sad it will make me feel, although I did love 'Crawdads'. Have you read 'Shuggie Bain' - it's another heart-wrencher but I highly recommend it. (Could never forgive Tom Stoppard for betraying Miriam!)Happy New Year to you when it comes, Sens. Hope to 'see' you more next year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel about "Shuggie Bain" much as you did about "American Dirt" - now I might give it a go on your recommendation! Agree re Tom and Miriam, although after reading the book, I think she was too good for him!

      Happy New Year to you, too, x

      Delete